Web design - helping you every step of the way
I'll take the hassle out of making, running and improving your web app or website. I offer a full end-to-end solution, which is just a posh way of saying that from the moment you contact me to when your website is up and running, and beyond, I'll look after you and handle everything. So you won't need to worry about the world of DNS, HTTP, SSL, DHTML, CSS and other obscure acronyms* and can instead concentrate on running your business successfully.
This includes amongst other things:
- User requirements - working with you to understand exactly what you need
- Domain registration - sorting out and obtaining a website domain name (e.g. www.blipstar.com)
- Design - converting your requirements and ideas into a workable solution
- Creation - taking a design and turning it into a real website
- Hosting - publishing or "hosting" your website (so anyone on the web can access it)
- SEO - Search Engine Optimization to improve your site's Google page ranking
- CMS - if required, a Content Management System gives you the power to update your own site
- Expansion - adding new functionality to your website (e.g. e-commerce)
- Re-branding - giving your website a "lick of paint" (because fashions change)
- Mobile web - optimizing your website for mobile devices and tablets
- Support - help is always at hand
Geospatial and web mapping - Location, location, location
My background is geography and I have particular skills in developing smart, efficient geospatial applications. The web has transformed the world of geographic information and you'd be amazed at how thinking spatially can help enhance your business.
Typical projects include:
- Web mapping - from a simple "We are here" map to an advanced "Find your nearest store" tool or mash-up
- Geospatial analysis - gain a competitive edge and add the "where?" to your business decisions: customers, competitors, target markets...
- Asset and location-tracking - monitoring where your assets are, scheduling, transport logistics...
- Mobile devices - "location aware" applications have often been touted as the next big thing. After ten years it's starting to happen
Custom-built web applications - the Internet changes everything
As the Internet has evolved the boundaries between simple web sites (like this one) and desktop applications (like Word or Excel) has been blurred. Web applications do the same kind of things as native applications (which you install on your computer), but with the benefit of being able to access it from anywhere in the world, using just a web browser. It's a convenient, easy, powerful and collaborative way of working. So whilst websites are about providing information, web applications are more about actually doing something. It can be as broad as searching or social-networking, as simple as managing your to-do list or as complex as managing your customer relationship management system.
Whatever you need your application to do, I can help you make it happen (within reason of course).
Bits and pieces - if it sounds interesting, and I've got the time, I'll do it
Although my main focus is web design and geospatial applications I'm happy to take on any IT project I feel is achievable and I can do a great job on. Just ask - the worse thing that can happen is I say "thanks but I'm probably not the man for the job".
* Domain Name System (DNS), Hyper Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP), Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), Dynamic Hypertext Markup Language (DHTML), Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) in case you're interested (probably not and I don't blame you)...